Thursday 24 February 2011

Gaming still looked down on

It`s time people woke up and realized...


Being an avid gamer for so many years, a lot of my life is based around gaming, that being how I hang out with my friends or what I do during a week so if I talk to someone who doesn`t play games about games they brush it off like I played with dolls... But if I was to say I`m captain of the football team, they would think I`m the best thing since toast!


Well modern society needs to wake up and realize gaming is a big part of peoples lives, it`s not just a hobby, for some people it`s their job, comforter and social activity. 


Just yesterday I was out with a girl for a while and the conversation was dead but none of us wanted to leave, so I told her I bought an unopened, factory sealed Dreamcast, (Oh yes all for Sonic Adventure 2, now the nerd in you is screaming!) she looked at my blank and said "thats nice!" That`s nice? THAT F**KING NICE? I almost started crying! I know that if I said I bought Messi`s boots she would be excited and would want to see them!
(Point to note: She doesn`t have an interest in football)


Why does society hate gaming so much? Surely TV is worse, as you have no interaction with the TV, unlike gaming where a person actually controlling what`s happening. Gaming is blamed for failing exams even do surely the person playing the game is to blame for not using their time well. 


Now more then ever I want gamers to try and bring gaming into their community with LAN events and other ideas. Even charity instead of a 24hour basketball match, try a 24hour gaming event! People across all ages can play games, not everyone can play basketball!

Gaming is not just a hobby anymore it is a valued part of peoples lives.



Gilmore

1 comment: